How to accept and accept diversity and otherness, not just see black and white.
PaedDr. Eva Gelányiová, Director of the Private Center for Special Education Counseling
(general manifestations of AS, which may differ in different Aspergers - web editor's note)
- reduced quality of social interaction,
- communication is a problem with understanding irony, humor or common proverbs and sayings,
- intellect is in the norm zone at AS, but emotionally and socially lag behind its cognitive development,
- it is difficult for AS to understand which behavior is appropriate to the situation and context, and which do not, do not understand the importance of decency and polite gestures, they miss the sense of social formalities, it is difficult for such a student to accept and adequately express compliments, criticism congratulations, is unable to be flexible and adaptable, introducing changes or new activities is
stressful for him.
- there is a problem with understanding the thoughts, feelings and desires of others, they fail to understand subtle non-verbal signals, such as facial expressions or tone of voice, they can not estimate the mental and emotional state of the other person due to this lack, often incorrectly they estimate the other person's feelings and do not respond in the expected and appropriate way, they are unable to read body language.
- a problem with making friends, they think that if they like someone, the other has an equally intense positive relationship with them, due to their lack of "reading" nonverbal signals, they often do not notice the other's indications that they are not interested in the relationship. br />
- emotional maturity in AS does not reach a level appropriate to its age and cognitive abilities, lacks subtlety in expressing emotions, their disappointment, anxiety or sadness are too intense, often there are strong bouts of anger caused by a relatively trivial event (such as a small program change ) individuals with AS experience frequent and abrupt mood swings, as well as individuals with autism express their emotions too openly in an inappropriate situation and embarrass a friend or group of peers,
- despite normal cognitive development and good vocabulary, AS often has a problem with the pragmatic component of speech - it is difficult for them to have a fluent conversation, they often have long monologues on their favorite topics, regardless of whether the issue is of interest to the listener or not, individuals with AS tend to understand many symbolic or figurative expressions literally, confused by their irony, humor, sarcasm.
- individuals with AS syndrome usually develop a special hobby that is atypical and devotes too much time to it, the main categories of special interests: gathering things and gathering information on a certain topic, the three most popular topics for children with AS are nature, science and technology and transport system.
- AS is hypersensitive to various sounds, light, odors, tastes or touch, some are hindered by short, surprising sounds such as a dog's rattle, phone ringing or coughing, others high tones such as the sound of a mixer, vacuum cleaner ..., bothers them in shopping malls or at social gatherings.
- AS syndrome is often associated with motor incompetence, individuals have problems with activities that require manual dexterity, such as tying laces, dressing, using cutlery, clumsiness can manifest themselves when cycling, skateboarding or skating, in many there are atypical movements when running or walking.
Attention Deficit Disorder:
- AS suffers from attention deficit disorder, attention consists of four components: the ability to maintain attention, focus on relevant information, redirect attention, individuals with AS have problems with all four components of attention.
How to help people manage common situations with simple instructions